Skip to main content

OpsMgr 2012 - DeleteDisabledDiscoverySources

Back again for a short post regarding a resent event I experienced. I have been tidying up my lab to prepare for an upgrade test I have been waiting to complete. Prior to the upgrade I wanted to remove some of the management packs what was targeted to IIS on some of my servers. Usually this is done by:
  1. Create a new ManagementPack (IIS7.disabled.xml)
  2. Create a new group and target it to the newly created MP (IIS7.disabled.xml)
  3. Disable the discovery rules for IIS7 and target the new Group
This should prevent the members of the group to “apply” the managementpack, however the the servers will still show up in views that target IIS7 MP. To remove these objects from the view, we need to run a powershell SCOM-cmdlet called Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance. So off I went and loaded the OperationsManager Module in my always open powershell console window and fired off the cmdlet. It threw the usual warning message at me:

image

I sat back and was planning to enjoy my coffee, when this message said hello:

Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance : Discovery data has been received from a rule targeted at a non-existent object ID.
Object ID: 172d24e6-1c99-d334-7ac2-ae0c160a4ae9
Rule ID: f6d8a11c-0585-3cc8-ecd3-3a0c34aadad0
At line:1 char:33
+ remove-scomdisabledclassinstance <<<<
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Microsoft.Syste...nstancesCommand:RemoveSCDisabledClassInstancesComma
   nd) [Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance], DiscoveryDataFr...ObjectException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExecutionError,Microsoft.SystemCenter.OperationsManagerV10.Commands.RemoveSCDisabledClas
   sInstancesCommand


Okay, no problem. I have the IDs for the rule and object. Armed with this I went to work in powershell and came back with nothing. These were not “SCOM-GUIDs”. They are operationsmanager database GUIDs. Not prepared to do raw hacking in my operations database, I went and visited my good friend gOOgle. That didn’t really help much until I discovered this post:

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/momlist/archive/2009/04/06/msmom-re-object-discovery-kj8dggiwa3.aspx

Conclution; Proceed to run the cmdlet a few times and see what happens?
Off I went, and behold after running the command 4 times, it completed successfully:

image

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serialize data with PowerShell

Currently I am working on a big new module. In this module, I need to persist data to disk and reprocess them at some point even if the module/PowerShell session was closed. I needed to serialize objects and save them to disk. It needed to be very efficient to be able to support a high volume of objects. Hence I decided to turn this serializer into a module called HashData.



Other Serializing methods

In PowerShell we have several possibilities to serialize objects. There are two cmdlets you can use which are built in:
Export-CliXmlConvertTo-JSON
Both are excellent options if you do not care about the size of the file. In my case I needed something lean and mean in terms of the size on disk for the serialized object. Lets do some tests to compare the different types:


(Hashdata.Object.ps1)

You might be curious why I do not use the Export-CliXML cmdlet and just use the [System.Management.Automation.PSSerializer]::Serialize static method. The static method will generate the same xml, however we …

Build your local powershell module repository - ProGet

So Windows Powershell Blog released a blog a couple of days ago (link). Not too long after, a discussion emerged about it being to complicated to setup. Even though the required software is open source (nugetgalleryserver), it looks like you need to have Visual Studio Installed to compile it. I looked into doing it without visual stuidio, however I have been unable to come up with a solution. I even tweeted about it since I am not an developer. Maybe someone how is familiar with “msbuild” could do a post on how to do it without VS.

Anyhow one of my twitter-friends (@sstranger) came to the rescue and pointed me in the direction of ProGet, hence the title of this post. ProGet comes in 2 different licensing modes
Free (reduced functionality)Enterprise (paid version with extra features)The good news is that the free version supports hosting a local PowershellGet repository which was my intention anyway. So off we go and create a Configration that can install ProGet for us. This is the conf…

Monitoring Orchestrator runbook events from Operations Manager

Today I will follow up on my colleague’s post Mr ITblog (Knut Huglen) about monitoring Orchestrator Runbook events.  He has build a nice double up SNMP loopback feature that does self monitoring in Orchestrator resulting in entries written to a special Windows Eventlog. Now we need to raise alerts in SCOM when one of his runbooks fails or sends a platform event, who knows there could be trouble lurking in his paradise.

We are not going to do anything fancy, however these are the steps we will be focusing on today:
Create a Management Pack for our customizations Create rules that collects the events from the orchestrator serverOff we go then and fire up the SCOM console and a powershell window. First we create a MP, I am going to use powershell to do this, however you may use the SCOM console as well (Administration – ManagementPacks – Action: Create Management Pack):



Import the Management Pack into SCOM and move on to the Authoring section in the SCOM console. Create a new rule:



Give the…