Skip to main content

OpsMgr 2012 - DeleteDisabledDiscoverySources

Back again for a short post regarding a resent event I experienced. I have been tidying up my lab to prepare for an upgrade test I have been waiting to complete. Prior to the upgrade I wanted to remove some of the management packs what was targeted to IIS on some of my servers. Usually this is done by:
  1. Create a new ManagementPack (IIS7.disabled.xml)
  2. Create a new group and target it to the newly created MP (IIS7.disabled.xml)
  3. Disable the discovery rules for IIS7 and target the new Group
This should prevent the members of the group to “apply” the managementpack, however the the servers will still show up in views that target IIS7 MP. To remove these objects from the view, we need to run a powershell SCOM-cmdlet called Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance. So off I went and loaded the OperationsManager Module in my always open powershell console window and fired off the cmdlet. It threw the usual warning message at me:

image

I sat back and was planning to enjoy my coffee, when this message said hello:

Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance : Discovery data has been received from a rule targeted at a non-existent object ID.
Object ID: 172d24e6-1c99-d334-7ac2-ae0c160a4ae9
Rule ID: f6d8a11c-0585-3cc8-ecd3-3a0c34aadad0
At line:1 char:33
+ remove-scomdisabledclassinstance <<<<
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Microsoft.Syste...nstancesCommand:RemoveSCDisabledClassInstancesComma
   nd) [Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance], DiscoveryDataFr...ObjectException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExecutionError,Microsoft.SystemCenter.OperationsManagerV10.Commands.RemoveSCDisabledClas
   sInstancesCommand


Okay, no problem. I have the IDs for the rule and object. Armed with this I went to work in powershell and came back with nothing. These were not “SCOM-GUIDs”. They are operationsmanager database GUIDs. Not prepared to do raw hacking in my operations database, I went and visited my good friend gOOgle. That didn’t really help much until I discovered this post:

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/momlist/archive/2009/04/06/msmom-re-object-discovery-kj8dggiwa3.aspx

Conclution; Proceed to run the cmdlet a few times and see what happens?
Off I went, and behold after running the command 4 times, it completed successfully:

image

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serialize data with PowerShell

Currently I am working on a big new module. In this module, I need to persist data to disk and reprocess them at some point even if the module/PowerShell session was closed. I needed to serialize objects and save them to disk. It needed to be very efficient to be able to support a high volume of objects. Hence I decided to turn this serializer into a module called HashData. Other Serializing methods In PowerShell we have several possibilities to serialize objects. There are two cmdlets you can use which are built in: Export-CliXml ConvertTo-JSON Both are excellent options if you do not care about the size of the file. In my case I needed something lean and mean in terms of the size on disk for the serialized object. Lets do some tests to compare the different types: (Hashdata.Object.ps1) You might be curious why I do not use the Export-CliXML cmdlet and just use the [System.Management.Automation.PSSerializer]::Serialize static method. The static method will generate t

Toying with audio in powershell

Controlling mute/unmute and the volume on you computer with powershell. Add-Type -TypeDefinition @' using System.Runtime.InteropServices; [Guid("5CDF2C82-841E-4546-9722-0CF74078229A"), InterfaceType(ComInterfaceType.InterfaceIsIUnknown)] interface IAudioEndpointVolume { // f(), g(), ... are unused COM method slots. Define these if you care int f(); int g(); int h(); int i(); int SetMasterVolumeLevelScalar(float fLevel, System.Guid pguidEventContext); int j(); int GetMasterVolumeLevelScalar(out float pfLevel); int k(); int l(); int m(); int n(); int SetMute([MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.Bool)] bool bMute, System.Guid pguidEventContext); int GetMute(out bool pbMute); } [Guid("D666063F-1587-4E43-81F1-B948E807363F"), InterfaceType(ComInterfaceType.InterfaceIsIUnknown)] interface IMMDevice { int Activate(ref System.Guid id, int clsCtx, int activationParams, out IAudioEndpointVolume aev); } [Guid("A95664D2-9614-4F35-A746-DE8DB63617E6"), Inte

Creating Menus in Powershell

I have created another Powershell module. This time it is about Console Menus you can use to ease the usage for members of your oranization. It is available on GitHub and published to the PowershellGallery . It is called cliMenu. Puppies This is a Controller module. It uses Write-Host to create a Menu in the console. Some of you may recall that using Write-Host is bad practice. Controller scripts and modules are the exception to this rule. In addition with WMF5 Write-Host writes to the Information stream in Powershell, so it really does not matter anymore. Design goal I have seen to many crappy menus that is a mixture of controller script and business logic. It is in essence a wild west out there, hence my ultimate goal is to create something that makes it as easy as possible to create a menu and change the way it looks. Make it easy to build Menus and change them Make it as "declarative" as possible Menus The module supports multiple Men